To each writer on my shelf a profound thanks for the courage it takes to practice your art. Among the books and authors making an impact on my life:
Art, Creativity, & Hospitality
- The Art of Possibility: Transforming Professional and Personal Life, by Rosamund Stone Zander and Benjamin Zander (2002)
- Making Room: Recovering Hospitality as a Christian Tradition, by Christine D. Pohl (1999)
- Walking on Water: a Reflection on Faith and Art, by Madeleine L’Engle (1995)
- Canoeing the Mountains: Christian Leadership in Uncharted Territory, by Tod Bolsinger (2015) Note: helpful topic for recent adult Sunday School class, fall 2016.
- Deep Church: a Third Way Beyond Emerging and Traditional, by Jim Belcher (2009)
- The Just Church, Becoming a Risk-Taking, Justice-Seeking, Disciple-Making Congregation, by Jim Martin (2012)
- Inside the Large Congregation, by Susan Beaumont (2011)
- Love One Another: Becoming the Church Jesus Longs For, by Gerald L. Sitter (2008)
- The Present Future: 6 Tough Questions for the Church, by Reggie McNeal (2009)
- Transforming Church: Bringing Out the Good to Get to Great, by Kevin Ford (2008)
- Go Put Your Strengths to Work, 6 Powerful Steps to Achieve Outstanding Performance, by Marcus Buckingham (2010) Note: my top five strengths are Input, Strategic, Intellection, Learner, Achiever.
- Lean In, Because the World Needs You to Change It, by Sheryl Sandberg (2013)
- After You Believe: Why Christian Character Matters, by N.T. Wright (2012)
- The Colors of Hope: Becoming People of Mercy, Justice, and Love, by Richard Dahlstrom (2011)
- Streams of Living Water: Celebrating the Great Traditions of Christian Faith, by Richard J. Foster (2001) Note: useful for church officer and staff leadership retreat, winter 2015.
- Unfinished: Believing is Only the Beginning, by Richard Stearns (2013)
- Reinventing Your Board: A Step-by-Step Guide to Implementing Policy Governance, by John Carver and Miriam Carver (2006) Note: proven useful in numerious nonprofit and church board leadership settings.
- Courageous Leadership, by Bill Hybels (2002)
- The Emotionally Healthy Church: a Strategy for Discipleship that Actually Changes Lives, by Peter Scazzerro (2015)
- Leadership without Easy Answers, by Ronald A. Heifetz (1998)
- Pastor, by Eugene H. Peterson (2012)
- Practicing Greatness: 7 Disciplines of Extraordinary Spiritual Leaders, by Reggie McNeal (2006)
- Spiritual Leadership for Church Officers: a Handbook, by Joan S. Gray (2009) Note: proven useful in church officer nominating and training, 2015 and 2016.
Mission and Outreach
- Buy This Land, by Chi-Dooh Li (2012) Truly one of the most unlikely but inspiring life stories ever told.
- The Dangerous Act of Loving You Neighbor: Seeing Others Through the Eyes of Jesus, by Mark Labberton (2011)
- He Walks Among Us: Encounters with Christ in a Broken World, by Richard and Renee Stearns (2013) Note: useful as a daily devotional.
- The Hole in Our Gospel: The Answer that Changed my Life and Might Just Change the World, by Richard Stearns (2010) Note: useful church mission study resource.
- The Social Justice Handbook: Small Steps for a Better World, by Mae Elise Cannon (2009) Note: useful church mission study resource.
- Through My Enemy’s Eyes: Envisioning Reconciliation in Israel-Palestine, by Salim J. Munayer and Lisa Loden (2014)
- Transforming Mission: Paradigm Shifts in Theology of Mission, by David J. Bosch (1991)
Vocation and Call
- Called: The Crisis and Promise of Following Jesus Today, by Mark Labberton (2014) Note: useful in 2015 church mission study, lenten sermon series, and small group study. Called to Be Living Stones sermon.
- Every Good Endeavor: Connecting Your Work to God’s Work, by Timothy Keller (2014)
Worship and Preaching
- Communicating for a Change, By Andy Stanley and Lane Jones (2006)
- The Dangerous Act of Worship: Living God’s Call to Justice, by Mark Labberton (2012)
In truth I find it most enjoyable to hear authors via audiobooks, readings, podcasts, and pulpits. Recommendations are welcomed. Contact me.